Ph.D. PROGRAMME IN MATHEMATICS offers an exciting
and unique opportunity to students for pursuing research in the following
Under this programme students undergo a substantial amount of relevant
course work consisting of advance topics in Aglebra, Analysis, Topology,
Numerical Analysis, Solid & Fluid Mechanics and Statistics, followed by
research work under the supervision of an Advisor, who is decided by the
Department, taking into account the aptitude, the needs and the
preferences of the student.
- Pure Mathematics
- Applied Mathematics & Scientific Computing
- Statistics & Operations Research
- Theoretical Computer Science
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
- Nurtures creative and analytical abilities of scholars
- Provides flexible approach for self-study and seminar courses in different areas.
- Encourages interdisciplinary research for bridging the gas between theoretical and applied areas.
- Cultivates communication skills through seminars and tutorials.
- Offers opportunity to engage in developmental research work.
The Department of Mathematics is well recognised for teaching and
research. It has a large faculty with research interests covering a wide
range of fields:
Collabortive research with other Science and Engineering Departments of
the Institute is encouraged. Faculty members undertake projects sponsored
by organizations such as National Board for Higher Mathematics, Indian
National Science Academy, Board of Research in Nuclear Science, Council of
Scientific & Industrial Research, Department of Science and Technology,
Department of Bio-Technology and Indian Council of Medical Research etc. A
strong group of Industrial Mathematics has evolved in the Department for
providing Industry-Academic linkage.
- Algebra, Combinatorics, Topology and Geometry
- Functional Analysis, Harmonic Analysis, Partial Differential Equations and Systems & Control.
- Numerical Analysis & Scientific Computing.
- Solid & Fluid Mechanics, Bio-Mechanics, Tribology and Rheology.
- Statistical Inference, Applied Probability, Statistical Quality
Control and Biostatistics.
- Algorithms & Complexity and Combinatorial Optimization,
Computer Aided Instructional Environment & industrial
Newtwork of 75 Workstations nodes along with 6 powerful servers with Unix,
Novell, Microsoft Windows, NT Platforms, Software Development Platform -
C, C++, Java, Tcl-Tk, Schem, Fortran, Visual Basic etc.
MATHEMATICS, MATLAB, SAS, GEOMVIEW, LEDA, LAPACK,
ODEPACK, HOMPACK, MACAULAY, GNUPLOT, LATEX, MICROSOFT OFFICE etc.
Netscape, Lynx, Intac Explorer, Telnet, FTP, E-mail.
The graduates of this Department have been placed in various academic
institutions - IITs, IISc and several universities in India and
abroad. The Training and Placement Office of the Institute arranges Campus
Interviews for the students with prospective employer in Industry and R &
D Organisations with strong inputs from the Department. In recent years our
students have been hired by prestigious organisations like TCS, ISRO,
Infotech, TRDDC, CDAC, ORG etc.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENT & FINANCIAL AID
The Institute offers Teaching Assistantships requiring eight hours of work
per week. Students can also be supported by scholarships / fellowships of
other organizations such as National Board for Higher Mathematics, Council
of Scientific & Industrial Research, University Grants Commission,
Department of Science & Technology.
Admissions take pace twice a year in June and in December on the basis of
an interview. The candidates should have obtained first class at the
Masters degree in Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Science and must have a
valid GATE score or an award of NBHM/CSIR/UGC Research Fellowship.
For further information send a self-addressed stamped (Rs.5/-) envelope to
Head, Department of Mathematics
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
Powai, Mumbai - 400 076.
Tel: 022-5767450, 022-5767451.