Overview of the M.Sc. Mathematics
This 2 year Programme, which has been revised recently, offers an exciting opportunity to students who are interested in Mathematics and/or Statistics and who wish to pursue courses in teaching and research.
This Programme with a broad based curriculum has the following main attractive features:
- It is essentially designed to cater to the interests of the students to pursue one of the following streams:
Pure Mathematics / Applied Mathematics & Scientific Computing / Statistics.
- All the courses in the first two semesters are
compulsory. In addition, three courses in the 3rd semester and one course in the 4th semester are compulsory.
- Five elective courses (Electives) in each of the three streams are available to the students: 2 in the third semester and 3 in the fourth semester. These Electives are planned in such a way that sufficient background will be provided to the inputs of the Programme to pursue a professional career or a Ph.D. degree in one of the streams mentioned.
- In addition to regular course work, each student takes up a year long Project under the guidance of a faculty member. In the Project, a student explores a specific topic outside the course programme, surveys the available literature on the topic and submits a critical review in the form of a report which may also include original theoretical results and/or results of experimental work. This process provides an initiation into mathematical research and also equips the student with the skills of presentation of research/technical literature.
- A student in the programme can earn one of the streams mentioned above as his/her Principal Stream. For this purpose, a student will have to choose at least 4 out of 5 Electives from the list of Electives of the stream (called Group) and also take the Project from the same stream.
- If a student is unable to choose the Electives and/or the Project as mentioned, then he/she will not earn his/her Principal Stream in the programme.
- Specific mention will be made in the degree awarded to a student of this programme of the Principal Stream earned by him/her.
Principal Stream : Pure Mathematics
Principal Stream : Applied Mathematics & Scientific Computing
Principal Stream : Statistics
in case he/she is able to earn the same.