MA 503 Functional Analysis (Autumn 2016)
Lectures: Mon and Thu 3:30 to 4:55 pm in Room 105
Tutorial: Tue 7.00 pm to 8.25 pm in Room 113
Informations about the course:
Normed spaces. Continuity of linear maps. Hahn-Banach Extension and Separation Theorems. Banach spaces. Dual spaces and transposes.
Uniform Boundedness Principle and its applications. Closed Graph Theorem, Open Mapping Theorem and their applications. Spectrum of a bounded
operator. Examples of compact operators on normed spaces. Inner product spaces, Hilbert spaces. Orthonormal basis. Projection theorem and
Riesz Representation Theorem.
1. J. B. Conway, Functional Analysis, 2nd Ed., Springer-Verlag, 1990.
2. I. Gohberg and S. Goldberg, Basic Operator Theory, Birkhäuser, 1980.
3. B. V. Limaye, Functional Analysis, 2nd Ed., New Age International Publishers, 1996.
4. M. Reed and B. Simon, Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics, Vol. 1: Functional Analysis, 2nd Ed., Academic Press, 1980.
5. W. Rudin, Functional Analysis, Tata McGraw Hill, 1974.
6. V. S. Sunder, Functional analysis- Spectral theory, TRIM, Hindustan Book Agency, 1997.
7. K. Yosida, Functional Analysis, 5th Ed., Narosa, 1979.