IMG(IITB) - Central Railways Meet, November 25, 2000
Venue : IMG LAB, Dept. of Mathematics, IIT Bombay
Participants : 20
Central Railways - Mr. S.C. Sengupta (Chief Mechanical Engineer), Mr. Alok Dove (Chief Workshop Manager (planning)), and Mr. Sanjiv Kishore (Deputy Chief Mechanical Engineer), Mr. Lalit Trivedi (Deputy Chief Mechanical Engineer (Power and Fuel)), Mr. K. K. Nandi (Chemist & Metallurgist), Mr. S. Tandon (Senior Mechanical Engineer (Coaching)), Mr. Saurav Prasad (Choaching Depot. Officer), Mr. Lawale ( Assistant Mecahnicle Engineering (Drawing)), Mr. D. S. Kulkarni (CME's Office), Mr. . Ahednago, Mr. A. Naik
IIT Bombay -
* Mechanical Engineering Department: Prof. Surjya Kumar Maiti, Prof. P. Vasudevan, Prof. Vijay G. Ukadgaonker, Prof. P. Seshu
* Metallurgical Engineering Department: Prof. G. V. Prabhugaokar
* Mathematics Department: Prof. Mohan C. Joshi, Prof. Amiya K. Pani, Prof. Sachine B. Patkar, Alladi Subramanyam
* Research Fellows of IMG : M. K. Ramaprasad, Fred Litjens, Kirankumar R. Hiremath, CH. V. V. Mohan Sarma, Meenakshi Seth
The meet started with welcome remarks by Prof. M. C. Joshi, Convenor IndustrialMathematics Group (IMG) at IIT Bombay. After a quick outline of IMG activites, Prof. Joshi presented briefly the IMG activities. Prof. Kartic K. Khilar, the CEP convenor talked about the mission and the various activites of the Continuing Education Programe (CEP). Some of the activites for indistry and the R &D organizations include
- Open mode programe ( short term, extension of programes )
- In house programes either short term or long term with hands on experiment for specific industry
- Certification programes
- P.G. level evening programes
- Web based programes ( will take some time to take shape )
After these remarks, Mr. S. C. Sengupta, Chief Mecanicle Engineer, Central Railway briefly described the specific problems with wheel breakage (fracture , bending etc) faced by Central Railway after adopting air breakage system. he concluded his talke with broad outline of areas such as
- Optimization of the breakage system
- Stress due to the break
- Characteristic break loss
- Composites for composition break blocks
in which Central Railway is looking for some co-operation.
Mr. Sanjiv Kishore, Deputy Chief Mechanicle Engineer ( Planning ), CR presented in detail various types of the breaking systems ( vaccuum breaks, air breaks ) in Indian Railways, advantage of air breakes, various features of main line coaches, lever ration of coaching stock, breaking force rail wheel life and specification of wheels ( chemical composition, mechanical and metallargical properties ). He also discussed the mechanical, physical and chemical characteristics of the break blocks and the major problem faced by CR. He also talked on some specific cases of wheel breakge and failure of wheel disc with a short report on their findings, yearwise analysis of wheel defects and wheel shidding with guidence for interpretation was presented. Finally Mr. Sanjiv addressed on some typical problems requiring engineering as well as mathematical solutions.
After detail discussion, the following possible broad based projects are identified with group members.
- Mechanism and Optimization
Mathematical model for wheel design incorporating heat dissipation, break force, longitudal dynamics, linkage mehcnism, speed and mechanical loading if the wheel and the optimization of the breaking system.
Group Members :
From CR : Mr. Sanjiv Kishor, Mr. Tandon
From IITB : ( Mech. Engg, Dept) Prof. P. Sheshu, Prof. Kurien, Prof. ????
(Maths Dept.) Prof. M. C. Joshi, Prof. Sachin Patkar, Prof. A. K. Pani
- Excess stress including Thermal stress
From IITB : Prof. S. K. Maiti, Prof. Seshu ( Mech. Eng.)
- Measurement of Thermal stresses
From IITB : Prof. G.V. Prabhu Gaunkar, Prof. Vasudevan (Metallurgical Eng. And Material Science ), Prof. A. K. Pani (IMG)
From CR : Mr. rahul Mittal, Mr. K .K. Nandi
- New Material characteristic of composite breaks
From IITB : Prof. G.V. Prabhu Gaunkar (Metallurgical Eng. And Material Science ), Prof. Naik (Aero), Prof. Radhakrishnan (Mech. dept)
From CR : S.C. Diskhit,Mr. K .K. Nandi
- Metallurgical Characteritics
G.V. Prabhu Gaunkar (Metallurgical Eng. And Material Science ),
- Statistical Data Analysis
A. Subramanyam (IMG)